Friday, March 21, 2008

Magic

I want to learn magic.

Especially impromptu, close-up ones.

That time I was watching this Chinese variety show, and then they had this professional magician who put up such an awesome show. Wonder how he did all that.

What’s so marvelous about magic?

Nong nong ago Long long ago magicians were seen as people who really have magical powers. Now, as we all know, they don’t really have true magic, but they are skillful in handling their props so that they seem to appear and disappear. And they’re entertaining too. Especially when you are watching a magician doing a live performance in the middle of a crowd. Like this:



However, there have been items specially made for magic shows. Like fake coins, fake cards and so on. So my question here is, do you accept magic performed with modified props? Or real skill? Or both?

Personally, I don’t really like to see magic that uses fake props. Like a two-sided coin or remote-controlled card. It makes me feel like I was cheated. Especially if the performance was breathtaking. And then you find out oh, all I need is money to buy that card. Or that coin. Won’t you feel cheated too?

But there’s also nothing wrong with using fake props. As long as one can use the prop perfectly well so that no one can tell that it is fake, isn’t that skill? Isn’t that magic? I guess its true, but I still don’t like the idea of it. I think magic should be done with skill and the props should not be modified, so that if other people have the skill they can do it too. IF they have the SKILL. But most people won’t have the skill [at least not at the professional level]. That’s why magicians can still make a living.

I don’t mind missing out on spectacular magic if they are performed with props that are really “so modified” that the person doesn’t need skill to perform it. They cannot be called magicians if all they use are props and not skills.

Anyway, it’s just my opinion [somehow this post turned out a lot more serious than I intended]

I’M SO SORRY FOR THE UNINTERESTING POST!!!!!!!!!!!!I promise to do better next time XD

No comments: